Thursday, April 17, 2008
SAD DAYS ....... WITH SAD SONGS..........!
The truth of missing yet another ARR concert kills me like anything..That apparently pushed me to listen to only sad songs.. ! :(
And hey that gave me an idea.. as in why dont I list out all my favourite sad songs of ARR.. Writing about those songs which play these days in my music player..I think I am gonna stick to these songs only till Apr 20 !
Choosing my favourites from ARR's is really a tough job for me..But since I am going to mention only about sad songs (boundary is small, u c .. :P), this becomes little bit simpler !
Well,these songs are numbered only for the sake of numbering..If I am to rate them then I wud definitely give all them the first rating... So mellifluous..so touching.....n filled with tears....
Here I go ..........!
1. Minnalae (MAY MADHAM)
I can review this song in many ways... like.... 'the music' , ' the feel' , 'the excellent bg score' , 'the harmonies' , 'SPB sir's singing' and the 'mere touch of ARR'. In whatever way you listen to this, this song spellbounds you..!
To begin with......well, "beginning" of the song is so grandeur. And SPB sir is too good in this song, makes you feel that u cannot find a better person to sing this wonderful creation of ARR. The feel in SPB sir's voice,especially,
in the second stanza....
"paalmazhaikku kaathirukkum bhoomi illaya oru..........." and it reaches its peak when he sings..
"naan kaathirundal kaadhal innum NEELUMILLAYA.......... "
The female harmonies and the violin back up needs a special mention over here.. ! Amazing song...!
2. En Kadhalae (DUET)
Another ARR-SPB combo..! The first thing that comes to mind when I think of this song is the bg score after stanza 1, that saxafone bit, the point where it takes a turn and touches "Anjali Anjali.." and then soon cumes back to En Kadhalae again..........
Also, all the high-pitch notes over here..........
"Idhu maatrama ..... thadumaatrama...... "
"en nenjilae.......e ...... ee ....... panimootama... "
Also, the most touching is.....
"uyir vaazhvadha .. illai povadha.... "
And I bet, SPB sir did shed some tears while singing......
"............illai AMUDHHA VISHHAM enbadha........... "
and also............
" naan kulungi kulungi AZHUDHEAN "
Awesome sad feel ............... n little bit of anger too.....
3. Kadhal Rojavae (ROJA)
Again ARR-SPB... ! Hey, this is the first one.. ! Wut a song...! Before I say about SPB sir, Sujathaji's humming is so beautiful in this song...
So fresh this song is...even today...! ARR actually gave a new definition to music... And I would like to mention one more thing at this point.
It was ARR who proved that SPB sir can be used in songs like
'Thanga Thamarai'(Minsara Kanavu) and "Ennai Kanavillaiye'(Kadhal Desam).
Coming back to Kadhal Rojavae..........
"vaai illamal ponal vaarthai illai penne... neeillamal ponal vaazhkai illai kanne".......
Lyrics are so touching.. also the feel in SPB sir's voice......... " SOL...L SOL "
U cannot get a better sad song than this... :)
4. Punnagaiyil Theemooti (JEANS)
'Jeans' has a great music.. All the songs are so special.. Well, this is Hariharan...! Hariji's another song in this movie.. "anbae anbae" also seems to be a sad song....but not completely though(..my opinion..)
This is kinda bit song... just 2:31 minutes !!!!
This is again an anger-cum-sad feel.. ! The music in this song is so lovely...! The music @ one side and Hariji's voice
... Wut else u can ask for..... I love the rendition of Hariji in.....
"anbe... mei enbade poi aaginal...... ayyooooooooo.. poi enbadhe ennagumo..... " and ends with .......
"poi kaadhalllllll uyir vaaazhumoooo" and then comes that music.... a racy one..................
Great composition.. !!
5. NilaKaigiradhu (INDRA)
The song which is very close to my heart.. If at all I am sad,I would like to listen to this song first.........
"kaatru vesum veyyil kaayum kaayum adhil maatram yedhum illaye... "
The beginning...Hariji's aalap says everything.... So much of sadness...I love each and every part of this song...
"....vaazhtu ooaya villai .. endrendrum vaaaaanil.. "
And the music blends with Hariji's voice very well... The Charanam needs a special mention........
"........kuyilin soaghamm..." "... poovvaanam... " ........."sarugutheyyyyyy "
Hariharan @ his best..................! And he is @ his bestest when he sings.....
"inda vaazhkaiye seedhanam..............adhil jeeevanaeeee pooooaavvadheeenn "
What a great thought.... I always ask this question to me when I am sad.. !! :)
Only ARR knows to give such a song which slowly creeps into your heart and stays there forever... !!!
6. Vidukadhaiya indha (MUTHU)
This is the best song of this album. "Oruvan Oruvan" is also great song [the best ever intro song of Rajinikanth] but pick in "Muthu" will definetely be this one..
Another great song coming under "ARR-Hariharan" hit-list...
The sudden-starting..... Powerful lyrics and the modulation rendered by Hariji makes it so special.......
" vidukadhaiya indha vaazhkai....
vidai tharuvaar yaarrro.......... "
n this particular part....... "naan seidha theengu ennnnna..." is too good !
I am not so sure about the lyrics of this song.So I better dont write them. I cannot really list out the reasons as in why I like this song.. But, I guess, there is no harm in liking a song without any reason,is there any ?? :P
7. Oh Vennila (KADHAL DESAM)
I love this song like anything..... Unni Krishnan...... I dont know from where he has got that sweetness in his voice...
He has some in-built sadness (I guess) which comes out when necessary.. Slow paced number.. sounds best when heard @night....in a very low volume............
The lyrics are so gudd.. ! Well, here I dont even mind writing the entire song...each and every word is pronounced...said .......... and sung so beautifully by UnniKrishnan....
Special lines...
"...............tharugindra porulai KAAadhalllll illai...... thandale kadhal kadhal illai...... "
This entire charanam is so simple yet strong... n Unni's rendition of .... " Oh nenjae nenjae nee en seivaai... "
Should ask Rahman sir as in how he is able to come up with such songs... !!! If I meet him, n if i ask him..... I am sure ..his answer will be............ "SMILE:)" and he'll never forget to give all the credits to almighty..!
8. Thendrale (KADHAL DESAM)
Same movie... 2 sad songs in one movie and both are so special... In the movie, the hero(s) sings this song when the heroine is unable to sleep...... so is the lyrics...
"....kavalai marandu thoongu..............iniya kanavil thoongu........"
UnniKrishnan and Mano.. ! I prefer Unni's part to Mano's..! Though I love the lines , the feel in the same.....
".....sonnavaarthai kodi dhaan unnai neril kandal mounam yen... "
.by Mano... Also also that.. "thookam indri vaadddiiiinen.. "
Needless to mention about Unni's part............ The special place over here is ..............
"........enakku mattum, SUDUM NILA... "
in that, the former part he sings in a low voice and the latter is in a high voice..I mean, in a high pitch....[technical stuffs aren't my cuppa] :) :) :)
Also, If u concentrate on the music,its Keyboard which is dominating during Unni's part and Guitar dominates Mano's ........... !!!
This song is wonderfully wonderful..!!! :)
9. Evano Oruvan (ALAIPAYUTHEY)
One of the best(est) albums of ARR.. Evano oruvan is a fine composion..... When I write about my favourite sad songs, I realize the role played by the lyrics in any song.. Particularly in a sad song wherein the pace will preferably be bit slow. This song has got finest of lyrics... Rendered very well by Swarnalatha... Its a ManiRatnam movie and needless to say that he takes the best out of Rahman.. ! One set of lyric suits me all the time...
" innisai mattum illai endral naan endro endro irandiruppen....... "
Well,it may suit for maximum music freaks .... I prefer it like this.............
TO ARR.........
" UN-ISAI mattum illai endral naan endro endro irandiruppen....... "
for it gave/gives/ will give new life to me !!!
10. Engae enadhu kavidhai (KANDUKONDEN KANDUKONDEN)
"Kandukonden Kandukonden" is yet another wonderful art mastered by ARR. Srinivas and Chitra !!!!!
the starting...........
"pirai vandavudan nila vandavudan................... "
Srinivas sings only couple of lines, couple of times........ rest is all Chitraji ... !
She is a living legend... !
If I wanna mention someone as GOD/GODDESS of playback singing.... The Goddess throne definetely belongs to K.S.Chitra .. !!
P.S. God is...........none other than SPB sir and Hariji :P
I find many differences between the first charanam and the second.. The tune is same... yet........
Chitraji's rendition ......... the second charam.............
After that Nadaswaram bit is just too gud... so touching............
"orey paarvai ada orey vaarthai........... ........ vendutheyyy............. "
and Srinivas' humming in between the first two lines.......and after the second line........ and Chitraji continuing with.........
"...........ketkudhey...........ee........e "
This song never fails to bring tears in your eyes...............!
11. Anbae/Azhage Sugama (PAARTHALAE PARAVASAM)
Srinivas-Sadhana Sargam....
I,somehow, give much more attention to Sadhanaji's part in this song.. Dunno why.........
Her..............
"......veedu vaasal sugama un veetu thotam sugama -a - ................ un poigalellammmm sugama.......a .....a ..........AnBaEEE sugama.................. "
-A-M-A-Z-I-N-G-
And that Violin bit adorns this song so well ...........
Srinivas' ............. " vaazhkai oorr vattam pol..........." How well he sings that part..............
Also, so much feel when he sings................... " Saaeeraadhhhhaaa -- a "
Sadhanaji's .............. " theriyadha.........." and Srinivas' ............. " puriyaadhaaa........." will almost take you to eternal bliss kinda thing....
Also in the end............
"..........idhu kanner nadathum pechuvaarthai....udainda manangal Otttaadhaaaa.........."
So much feel in both their voices.... TOO GOOD .............!!!!
And the ending is again too good ... !!
12. Nenjae Nenjae (RATCHAGAN)
K.J.Yesudas and Sadhana Sargam...
Very nice song...! .
............. ".......... kangalai vitruthaan Oooviyama .... "
I like this line very much... ! Both the charanams........... CH 1 by KJY and CH 2 by Sadhanaji ...both are exceedingly good....
".............unnai enni mul virithu.............................. sirikkavum pazhagikkonden " ......... lots of pain....
Sadhanaji's tamil is little bit funny at certain parts in this song.... Well, that has to be understood.... she,by that time, wud have just started with Tamil-Singing... So , no isssues :)
Nice composition.............
My list is never ending.. Few songs, though may not be a full-fledged sad song, will somehow makes you cry.. !
And If I am to make a list of those songs, then it just goes on and on and on.. !
That list may include ........."Bombay-Theme","Vellai Pookal"[kannathil mutthamittal] etc.........
Other compositions like "uyire uyire"[Bombay] , "udhaya udhaya"[udhaya] , "ennai kanavillaye"[kadhal desam] also come in the same lines....
"Newyork Nagaram" from SOK is another 'thanimai-kodumai' song which,I always say, is a drug... For I am addicted to it right from the day when I heard it for the first time..........
Hey,unless I try and put a full stop to this,it wont be ending..... So, I better put many full-stops together, like
"....." ,symbolically saying........ "TO BE CONTINUED "
Cheers...........!